Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Roast is Clear


I’ve said it before and I will undoubtedly say it again. I love food. I love to cook it. I love to eat it. I love to smell it. And, what’s more, I love to look at it.

Very often on cooking shows, the chef will point out just how beautiful the meal looks. They will accent a dish by plopping a sprig of parsley or a rosemary branch or perhaps some basil leaves on the side of the offering, making it aesthetically pleasing.

I understand why they do it. I think that food ought to be pleasing to the eye if it is to be pleasing to the palate. I can’t say that I accent my food with sprigs of anything, but I really love to mix up the colors of the food I make.

I recently made a pork tenderloin. I don’t make pork tenderloin often because it’s simply not one of my favorite foods. Whenever I prepare it, I think it tastes good, and my husband always likes the leftovers between two pieces of bread (of course). Nevertheless, despite it’s relatively affordable price tag, it’s not something I make often.

But what I can get excited about are roasted vegetables. Don’t hate me because I’m a geek. I just like the sweet taste that roasting gives veggies, especially any kind of root vegetable.

I found a recipe for roasted pork tenderloin and potatoes, and got the notion to make it even more interesting by serving it with roasted vegetables. I went to the market and picked out two of my favorite (and what I consider to be the most beautiful) vegetables – brussel sprouts and carrots.

I know, I know. Brussel sprouts. I see all of you turning up your noses right now. But when you roast any vegetable, the sugars are released and even something quite bitter like brussel sprouts becomes sweet and tasty. Especially if you couple them with already-sweet carrots.

Roasted Pork and Potatoes (loosely excerpted from Food Network Magazine)

1-1/2 lbs. small red potatoes, cut in half (or quarters if they’re largish)
1 large handful of brussel sprouts, with the tops cut off and then cut in half
2 large carrots, cut in large pieces
2 T. olive oil
1-2 tsp. fresh thyme, pulled from the twig
Salt and pepper
1 pork tenderloin

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Toss the potatoes, brussel sprouts, and carrots with the salt and pepper (to taste), thyme, and 1 T. olive oil in a shallow baking dish (I used a 9 X 9 baker). Place in oven and roast until the potatoes are slightly tender, 20 – 30 minutes (it takes slightly longer in our high altitude).

Meanwhile, pat the tenderloin dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the pork and sear on all sides until golden brown.

Once the vegetables are slightly tender, transfer the pork to the baking dish and continue to roast until a thermometer inserted into the center of the pork registers 145 degrees (about 20 minutes more).

Let the pork sit on a cutting board for about five minutes before slicing. Serve with the beautiful roasted vegetables. I also served a side of applesauce, just to celebrate the beginning of fall.

By the way, if you simply can't abide the thought of eating a brussel sprout (perhaps your mother made you eat them as a child and you said you would never do so when you had your own home!), you can choose any vegetable you like. In fact, the recipe from which I adapted my meal actually called for red pepper and potatoes. Use your imagination.  

But make it pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment