Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Finger-lickin'

Who doesn’t like fried chicken? Seriously, I personally think fried chicken of any kind is delicious. And if I ask my husband what he would like for his birthday/anniversary/father’s day dinner, he will always (and I really mean without exception) request fried chicken.

But I must also tell you that fried chicken is a pain to make. Frying chicken makes a mess. So, unless you fall for the assertion that you can put crushed corn flakes on chicken breasts and bake it in the oven and it tastes like fried chicken, you are going to have to clean up a mess.

But, oh, it’s worth it. Every single time.

But I have a suggestion for frying chicken that won’t require you to haul out your deep fat fryer (Yeah, right. That’s what all newlyweds request on their wedding registry. Well, maybe if you’re related to Paula Deen. Or me.) It’s fairly quick, relatively unmessy, and makes really delicious, tender, and moist fried chicken.

The key is thinking ahead. Something I’m not terribly good at, I might add. I actually have to write myself a note to remind myself to do what I’m about to tell you. In the morning, before you go to work or before you get too bogged down with the details of your day, put your chicken pieces into a bowl. (And since I generally cook for just my husband and me, I buy pieces rather than the whole chicken. If you can find chicken pieces on sale, buy them, use what you need and freeze the remaining pieces until such time as you have forgotten about the mess.)

Mix together about a cup (more if you are using more than four or five pieces of chicken) of buttermilk with as much hot sauce as you would like to give it a zing – maybe a tablespoon or so – (I use Frank’s Louisiana Hot Sauce) and add a teaspoon or so of salt. Pour this mixture over your chicken and use your hands to slosh the pieces around in the buttermilk. The buttermilk breaks down the muscles of the chicken, which will help you produce tender and juicy fried chicken that evening. If you are home, occasionally stir the chicken pieces. If not, don’t drive home every two hours to do it because it’s not a big deal.

In the evening, pour about three-quarters of an inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan (I’m crazy about my cast iron skillet, but it’s not a deal breaker). Heat up the oil while you remove your chicken from the buttermilk. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

With a paper towel, wipe off excess buttermilk so that you don’t splash oil when you place the chicken into the skillet. Mix together about a cup of flour with some bread crumbs (seasoned or unseasoned, whatever you have on hand). Add some garlic powder (a teaspoon or so) to the flour, along with some pepper. Dredge your chicken pieces in the flour, making sure to shake off excess flour as well.

Carefully place the chicken pieces in the hot oil, and fry until the pieces are brown and crispy on the outside. The chicken won’t be cooked all the way through. It may take anywhere between five and 10 minutes per side. If you are doing a lot of pieces of chicken, fry in batches. If you fry too many pieces at a time, you will steam the chicken rather than getting a good crust.

Once the chicken is nice and brown on both sides, put the pieces onto a rack that you have placed on a large cookie sheet. (I would recommend you cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper to help mitigate clean-up.)

Finish cooking your browned chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes or so. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. A meat thermometer should read 170, but if you don’t own a meat thermometer, cut into a piece and make sure the juices run clear. And go out tomorrow and buy an instant read thermometer.

Unfortunately, you really can’t reuse the grease, so that will be your biggest mess. I pour the excess grease into a coffee cup, wipe out the remaining grease with a paper towel, and wash my pan. Once the grease is cool tomorrow, I will place it in a plastic bag that I seal really well and throw it in the garbage.

Making your fried chicken this way really is easier than you think, and I can assure you of crispy, delicious chicken that you will make again. Maybe not for awhile, however. And to make yourself feel less guilty, tomorrow serve grilled tilapia and steamed broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment